It was years ago that I heard about DHT (Dihydrotestosterone), but it wasn't tied to a 'good' effect. At the time, a pal of mine and I were freaking out at the very minimal reduction of our hairlines. To make this reduction even more painful, we made fun of one another incessantly... Baldylox... Friar Tuck... The fact that I wasn't (still not) married, and had to get married before the baldness consumed my scalp was his go to. He began digging into how to prevent going bald, and he found that high testosterone - namely high DHT - levels were responsible for premature baldness in some cases that weren't purely genetic. The balding freak-out turned into a sense of pride, like we had higher testosterone levels than everyone else because our hairlines were receding. Alas, the reduction stopped - at least in my case - and since then I've learned a lot more about testosterone and DHT. However, I still get a few emails every month from fellas freaking out like I once did about going bald because of high DHT levels. Here's the thing... Who. The. Fuck. Cares. Baldness is genetic. If you're going bald. Go bald. It doesn't matter. Second, the evidence behind DHT levels increasing baldness is shaky, but still, you want DHT flowing through your body. Take the baldness along with the DHT rather than no DHT and a healthy head of hair. DHT has 2-3 times higher receptivity towards the androgen receptors of the body in comparison to testosterone. On top of that it stays bound for almost 5x longer than testosterone does. It's almost like testosterone on steroids. So, how do you increase your DHT levels? Well, by doing the following:
1. ZINC.As a wise man once said, Take zinc for the dink. Zinc is one of the best supplements men can take for their hormonal health, and zinc has been shown to positively effect DHT levels even if you're not at a deficit (which is why most guys take zinc). There are varying forms of zinc in supplement form. Some are good. Some are shite. Zinc picolinate is the best absorbed form of zinc in supplement form, which is why we included it in Man Boost (get it here) along with 3 other ingredients that help men boost testosterone and reduce estrogen.
2. Eat More Fats (of the right variety)Healthy fats are the golden ticket to more DHT. Multiple studies have shown the more dietary fat you eat (from saturated and monounsaturated fat sources) the higher your overall testosterone levels will be and the higher your DHT levels will be as well. (1) (2) With that said, it’s important that you avoid all polyunsaturated fats because they’ve been shown to decrease testosterone and DHT. (3) As I wrote in my book, The Man Diet (get your FREE copy here), every man’s diet should consist of 30-40% fats on a daily basis. This will keep your testosterone levels high, and as a result, you’ll have more DHT, too. So when you’re making food choices, try to get at least one of the following foods in every meal:
- Cage-free whole eggs
- Grass-fed butter
- Red meat
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
3. Take CreatineCreatine is one of the best things you can supplement with. It's the best supplement for strength, recovery, and gaining muscle. And, it appears to be one of the most potent DHT 'boosters' available, and it's cheap. From this study... …When 20 college-aged rugby players from Africa took a 7-day loading phase (25g/day) of creatine monohydrate and then followed up with a 14-day maintenance phase (5g/day), their DHT jumped up by 56% during the loading phase, and remained 40% higher than the original baseline during the maintenance phase.
4. Smoke Cigars.It's not the cigar, but the nicotine in the stogie that increases DHT in men. Say the word 'nicotine' to anyone and they think cancerous cigarettes. Nicotine, however, isn't carcinogenic. Nicotine can benefit 5-a DHT by inhibiting its breakdown to a weaker metabolite; 3-alpha diol. As a side note - smoking men appear to have higher testosterone levels than non-smoking men. Interesting, to say the least. But this inhibiting of the DHT breakdown may be the reason for it. I like cigars. A recent study and look into data on other studies finds that 1-2 cigars a day (which is A LOT) creates no increase in cancer risk. Since you are just looking for the nicotine when it comes to your DHT levels and testosterone levels, you can just opt for a nicotine gum.
5. Take Man BoostShameless plug of a supplement I created or a necessary addition? I made it because it's a necessary addition. There isn't much out there in terms of natural ways to block and remove estrogen from the male body. Needless to say, if your estrogen levels are too high (far too common these days), then your DHT levels will suffer. Man Boost has the best 4 nutrients for reducing estrogen in men:
- Zinc picolinate (15mg)
- Boron (6mg)
- Resveratrol Vesisorb (200mg) [100x more absorbable by the human body than regular resveratrol)
- IC-3 (400mg)